MASD Dress Code
Mars Area School District has the authority to impose limitations on students' dress in school. The school district will not interfere with the right of students and their parents/guardians to make decisions regarding their appearance, except when their choices disrupt the educational program of the schools or constitute a health or safety hazard.
Students may be required to wear certain types of clothing while participating in physical education classes, technical education, extracurricular activities, or other situations where special attire may be required to ensure the health or safety of the student.
Any emerging trend, which is not addressed below, will be evaluated by the administration based upon the following guidelines:
- Length of dresses/skirts - no shorter than 4 1/2" above knee
- Tight fitting pants/leggings/jeggings/yoga pants - will only be permitted with a dress, skirt or top that falls below the buttocks
- All pants (boys/girls) must conform to the waistline
- Slits in dresses/skirts - no shorter than fingertip length
- Length of shorts (girls/boys) - no shorter than 1" above fingertip
- Dresses/skirts/pants/shorts/yoga pants made of stretch material such as spandex - not permitted
- Pants (girls/boys) with slashes/holes above the knee are not permitted
- Tank tops (girls/boys), with thin straps - not permitted
- Sleeveless shirts (girls/boys), with large armholes - not permitted
- Fish net shirts (girls/boys) - not permitted unless proper material is worn underneath
- Low cut tops, see-through tops, bare shoulder tops, midriffs/cut-off shirts (girls/boys) - not permitted
- Students are not permitted to wear tops (shirts, sweaters, t-shirts, etc.) that expose the midriff or back while sitting, standing, walking or bending.
- Students should wear shoes that do not present a safety risk or cause a disruption to the educational process. This includes but is not limited to heelys/heelies.
- Hats/Bandanas (girls/boys) – not permitted
- Sunglasses (girls/boys) - not permitted without medical note.
- Students are not permitted to wear chains that could be used as weapons
- Any clothing through which underwear or any type of undergarment can be seen (girls/boys) – not permitted
- T-shirts with lettering, symbols, and pictures (girls/boys) are not permitted to be obscene, display sexual innuendoes, swear words, gore, death symbols, satanic symbols and lettering, or advertise alcohol or drugs.
- Students will not be permitted to present themselves in such a way that is disruptive to the educational process or constitutes a health hazard.
- Students may be required to wear certain types of clothing while participating in physical education classes, shops, extracurricular activities or other situations which may require special attire to insure the health or safety of the students.
- Students have the responsibility to keep their bodies, their clothes and their hair clean. School officials may impose limitations on student participation in their regular instructional program where there is evidence that the lack of cleanliness constitutes a health hazard.
Disciplinary Action(s) for Dress Code Violations
If a student violates the dress code, they will be instructed to report to office, and he/she will remain removed from the rest of the student body until proper adjustments have been made to inappropriate clothing (i.e., change of clothes).
First & Second Infractions — Student will be directed to office, warning issued and parent must bring a change of clothing or the student receives ISS
Third and Subsequent Infractions* — Student will be directed to office, Detention assigned and parent must bring a change of clothing or the student receives ISS
*A pattern of dress code infractions can lead to Defiance of Authority and Suspension will be assigned.